Effective ways to detox
How to detox your body effectively
Practiced for centuries by cultures around the world — including Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine systems — detoxification is about resting, cleansing and nourishing the body from the inside out. By removing and eliminating toxins, then feeding your body with healthy nutrients, detoxifying can help protect you from disease and renew your ability to maintain optimum health through a range of methods including yoga, meditation and more.
1. CUT YOUR SUGAR INTAKEA seasonal detox is an effective way to clear your body of toxins, which will also speed up your metabolism and enhance your overall health. Start by decreasing the amount of sugar you consume, says Matt Dower, spa director at Mirbeau Inn & Spa in Skaneateles, NY. And that includes honey, molasses, and artificial sweeteners. “If you eat more sugar, you ask your body for more insulin, straining your pancreas and wearing yourself out,” he says. “In the long term, this kind of habit can cause you to become chronically fatigued, diabetic, develop cancer, and pack on excess weight.”.
2. DRINK PLENTY OF WATERDower also suggests you drink a tall glass of water with juice from half of a lemon in the morning. “Lemon helps re-hydrate the system and promotes digestion, which will help the flow of waste out of your body,” he says.
3. MOVE YOUR BODYRegular exercise encourages circulation in the blood and lymph system, Dower says. Doing so will also enhance digestion, reduce tension, lubricate joints, and strengthen your body. It’s a proven fact. “People who exercise regularly have far fewer total toxins in their systems,” he points out.
4. INCREASE YOUR TEA INTAKE“Not only is tea full of antioxidants, it hydrates you (especially if it’s herbal) and fills you up,” says Ashley Karr, a research psychologist and wellness coach. “This means you will be less likely to overeat or eat the wrong things!” Keep in mind, the caffeine in tea is different than the caffeine in coffee—it’s gentler on your system. It’ll also give you a pick-me-up minus the jitters.
5. TRY TO EAT ORGANIC FOODSShad Sarno, research and development chef for Whole Foods’ Health Starts Here initiative suggests you reconfigure your diet this year. “A colorful variety of fruits and veggies should be the main focus of your diet, along with whole grains, beans and legumes, and small amounts of nuts and seeds,” he says. You should eat whole plant foods because processed foods lack the nutrients your body needs. Dark green vegetables, for instance, are full of micronutrients and are very low in calories, so you can eat a lot of them.
6. COMBAT ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTANTSDon’t forget that pollution and allergens are all around you. They’re in the air and can trigger allergy symptoms (such as yucky, puffy, red eyes). Dr. Travis Stork, host of daytime talk show The Doctorsadvises you flush your nasal passages regularly with a Neti Pot. Doing so can eliminate the side effects of air pollutants and lead to better breathing naturally. If you use the Neti Pot before bed, even better—it will enhance your sleep.
7. TRY A SAUNAForbes Riley, creator of fitness product SpinGym who you may also remember co-hosting Jack LaLanne’s juicer infomercial, is a big fan of detoxing. It’s how she lost her pregnancy weight gain at the age of 42 after giving birth to twins. She suggests you use a sauna regularly. “There’s nothing more detoxing than sweating it out,” she says.
8. EXFOLIATE“Skin brushing and oil massages will help exfoliate the toxins from your skin and refresh circulation,” says Christina Chodos, a certified health counselor and educator from Chicago, IL.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
To provide the highest quality products to our customers.
Our vision is to also be the recognized leader of the U.S. dietary supplement industry.
We build value through the strength of our customers’ satisfaction and by consistently producing operating results.